Hair washing mistakes
One of the best feelings in the world is emerging from a relaxing shower with sparkling clean hair. However, if you’re not washing your hair correctly, it can leave your locks looking dry and heavy — sigh. To help you keep up with a successful hair-care routine, let’s review some common mistakes regarding shampooing and conditioning so you can always have bouncy, healthy-looking locks!
Do not comb your hair before washing
Here are four reasons to brush your hair before washing it:
- brushing will help remove surface dirt.
- combing will remove already fallen hairs.
- combing will help the nutrients from the shampoo work better.
- the hair won’t be as tangled when you comb it before washing it.
Hot – cold: incorrect water temperature
Hot water dries out your hair and scalp by washing away moisture. The sebaceous glands work to remove dirt and sebum, but this also removes the natural oils that keep your hair healthy. Cold water doesn’t do as good of a job at removing dirt and sebum, but it doesn’t strip away the natural oils in your hair.
- the best temperature to wash your hair is warm but not too hot.
- after shampooing, you can rinse with cold water. It will help your hair look shiny and smooth and help with oily scalp problems.
Washing your hair too often or too infrequently
How often you wash your hair is different for everyone. It depends on how oily your scalp is. People with dry scalps should only wash their hair sometimes. They can use a moisturizing spray to help with this. People with oily hair types need to wash their hair more often, using unique products made for this purpose. Try to increase the amount of time between washes. If you need to wash your hair every day, use a light daily shampoo.
Yes, clean hair can look luxurious. But we only need to wash our hair sometimes. Our hair should be washed 1-2 times a week. At first, it may be uncomfortable not to wash your hair daily. But after a while, your hair will get used to it and look just as good.
Conditioners, balm, and masks are rarely used
Owners of oily hair sometimes say that these products make the hair dirty quickly. To prevent this from happening:
- apply conditioner from the middle of the hair to the tips;
- it is recommended to do a hair mask once every 7-10 days;
- before applying a balm or mask, blot your hair with a towel – removing excess moisture will allow the product to work faster.